October 3, 2021
Dear Rowe Families,
It is hard to believe that we have already been back to school for a month. It certainly is beginning to look and feel like fall. Last week was very busy with Picture Day, our first day of pool testing, and our flu clinic on Friday. Thank you for your patience with the flu clinic consent forms. There were glitches with the online forms and we appreciate your help in sending in paper forms to help us ensure that all who were signed up received their flu vaccine.
COMMUNITY FIELD TRIPS AND SCHOOL VISITS
We had a visit from EcoMaine on September 27th who presented to first-grade classes. Students learned about cutting down on waste by reducing, reusing, and recycling household waste. Please ask your child about what they learned in the presentation and from their visit to the Yarmouth Transfer Station the week before. First graders will visit the Yarmouth Community Garden on Monday, October 4th.
Later this month, our first graders will be having an exciting presentation called Owls of Maine by the Chewonki Foundation, a nature-based education organization located in Wiscasset, Maine. This is part of the Owls Unit taught in first grade and is an amazing opportunity for our children. In addition, kindergarten students will see a Chewonki program called Bats of the World. Both of these presentations will happen in the last week of October.
Parent-Teacher Conferences will be scheduled later this month and into November. Your child’s teacher will be in touch to schedule an appointment with you. Teachers schedule their own appointments individually.
Merrill Memorial Library
Please see the attached information from Merrill Memorial Library. MML Event
COOLER WEATHER AND OUTERWEAR
I think we have all noticed a chill in the air, especially in the morning and evening. These cooler temperatures will soon be upon us during the day as well. Please be sure to label all of your child’s coats, hats, boots, and eventually snow pants with their name on the inside tags. We already have a collection of unclaimed sweaters and sweatshirts in the lost and found. Those that had names inside were returned to their owners promptly. Thanks for your help!
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL
Please continue to proceed with extreme caution on the access road around the perimeter of the school and watch for cyclists. Cyclists should get off and walk bikes once they reach any section of the sidewalk leading to the school. There are many students getting out of cars and buses.
The traffic on Main Street has caused some frustration during arrival and dismissal recently. We received information that paving was supposed to have wrapped up this past Saturday. Let’s hope this is the case and if not, it should be done by this week sometime.
Please turn off your car engine while waiting for your child to come out to the carline at dismissal. Our carline is a no-idling zone.
When picking your child up, please be sure to announce them in the PikMyKid app each day. This is our record that your child has been dismissed. Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Message from the Yarmouth K-8 PTO
News to Use: If you missed our September newsletter, full of fun information, you can find it here!
· Spirit Wear: Sale ends 10/4 - We are excited to see everyone rocking their Clipper pride around town! Production starts after the store closes 10/4 and orders will be dispersed by the end of the month. To make an order before the 4th, click here.
· Hannaford Gift Cards: 10/6 and 10/27 by noon - Thank you to everyone who participated in the first load of the year! Look for a form coming home before each load, or print one here.
· Take it Make it: 10/7 (Rowe) and 10/14 (YES) 3-6pm - This twist on our traditional Make It, Take It Craft Fair will take place at the Yarmouth Farmer's Market at the Bickford Pavilion. For more information, see our Facebook event here.
· Boon Supply: 10/18-11/5 - Catalogues are coming home this month full of exciting products with 40% of your purchase going to the K-8 PTO!
· October PTO Meeting: 10/21 4pm - All are welcome to attend! Look for zoom information on our website and social media pages before the event.
· Trunk or Treat: Friday 10/29 4-6pm - Join your PTO at the first-ever YCS Trunk or Treat at Yarmouth Town Hall! More info here.
Questions or Comments: Please contact Kim Tyau at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for all of your support!
Important Dates to Note:
Friday, October 8th- No School for students - Staff Professional Development Day
Monday, October 11th- No School, Indigenous Peoples Day
Thursday, November 11th and Friday, November 12th No School- Veterans Day holiday
Wednesday, November 24th - Friday, November 26th - Thanksgiving break
Susan Lobel, Principal